Rappin Ronnie


One activity we have for phonemic awareness is Rappin Ronnie.When we want to change the initial phoneme to form a different word, Rappin Ronnie comes to class. Rappin Ronnie wears his cap sideways, of course, and he has a big, gold, dollar-sign necklace.  The beats are laid down and the rap begins. 

"My name is Rappin Ronnie and I am here to Rhyme
You can rap with me every single time
Don't be a nerd. Say the word
Here we go. Let's start the show"

Rappin Ronnie then calls the initial sound the students will change by saying one of our sound/spelling cards. "I'm a pilot flying in the air, I'm a pilot and I don't care!" Then Ronnie calls and the students respond, "I say dark, and you say  . . . . . . . ." and students yell, "PARK!" --repeated a couple times. There is dancing and arm waving. I new this was catching on when I overheard a group of first grade buddies with this exchange: "I'm a pilot flying in the air! When I say loop, you say . . . . . . . ." Now that's FUN! Don't tell anyone.


1 comment: